Faculty Exchange Between the University of Bologna (UB) and Indiana University’s Bologna Consortial Studies Program (BCSP)
The BCSP Agreement states: "Each academic year, two faculty members from the UB and two faculty members from BCSP institutions may be exchanged for periods of up to one month. The exchanges will be based on a mutually agreed upon plan for professional development, teaching and research. Each faculty member's home institution is responsible for covering travel expenses, while the host institution will provide funding to cover costs of room and board during the visit." Exchange faculty should not expect for all their on-site costs to be fully covered.
Each professor could utilize the opportunity primarily for didactic purposes and for personal research and to make or renew professional contacts, for any time period desired, up to one month during the host academic year (not summer). All applicants must be regular faculty at their home institution (i.e. not visiting or non-tenured). Faculty selected must have a demonstrated research involvement, which could be pursued relevantly at the host institution and should be competent in the language of the host country, though this may be waived by the host institution if not deemed essential for the project.
All exchange professors must give at least one lecture/seminar on site, and submit a written report on the exchange experience to the Managing Director of BCSP. BCSP Faculty are expected to meet with the BCSP Resident Director and with the students from his/her home institution. UB Faculty are expected to meet with the host institution study abroad and international scholars offices and with the students from UB on that campus. If additional lectures/seminars are desired, some honorarium might be arranged between the host institution and the professor.
Final selection will be made by the Department of International Relations at the University of Bologna and a committee of BCSP and UB representatives (see below) and requires a formal invitation from a host department (History, Italian Studies, Geology, etc.) where the course, lecture/seminar is to be given. Temporary office space will be provided if possible, but cannot be guaranteed.
Each professor (incoming or outgoing) must present a project which will be evaluated by a UB Committee (nominated by the UB Giunta di Ateneo) and eventually approved according to its academic validity and available funds at the time of the application.
We cannot insist on absolutely parallel payments or housing quality but should try to establish roughly similar conditions. For scholars traveling to the US, housing will be arranged by the host institution, either gratis or paid for from the funds provided by the host , up to $1,500 to cover room and board for each incoming professor (based on a 4-week stay).
For scholars traveling to Italy, the University of Bologna provides a parallel amount in Euros (less 20% tax) based on a formula which takes into account the days/weeks on exchange. The choice of the guest to stay in the UB faculty apartments (Foresteria), a hotel or even with friends does not affect the maximum compensation of € 1,084 net for a minimum 2-week stay.
Flight Costs: In US an estimated $1,000 to cover airfare for each outgoing professor. In Italy, an estimated € 1,000.
Guidelines for faculty at BCSP Institutions:
- Faculty at BCSP institutions interested in the faculty exchange should contact the BCSP representative on their campus as well as Kathleen Sideli, Managing Director of BCSP(firstname.lastname@example.org) to express their interest. Inquiries should be made at least six months in advance. The home institution should have an internal mechanism for putting forward its best candidate to BCSP.
- Interested faculty need to have a formal letter of invitation from a host department at U Bologna well in advance but it should be prepared after the publication of the Bando at the end of each calendar year. This letter should state that the individual will give a series of lectures /seminars at U Bologna.
- Raffaella Baritono (U Bologna Liaison Professor to BCSP), Andrea Ricci (Resident Director of BCSP in Italy) and Kathleen Sideli (Managing Director of BCSP), constitute the preliminary selection committee, but decisions will have to be approved by the UB Committee before they become official. Applications are generally limited to 2 exchanges per year each way (but only 1 per year each way for any individual BCSP institution). Consideration will also be given to the balance of the exchange over time at each institution.
- Sideli will inform the BCSP campus representative (copying Baritono and Ricci) with the names of the final candidates each year.
- Faculty members selected should plan on going to Italy on tourist visas if possible.
- Faculty selected should contact Baritono (email@example.com) and Ricci (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to arrival. The U Bologna International Office (Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali) will facilitate the paperwork to bring the faculty scholar to Bologna.
- The study abroad office at the faculty member’s BCSP institution will cover airfare costs up to $1,000. Faculty members should check with them for the appropriate way to arrange assistance with travel costs.
- Upon arrival in Italy the exchange professor should visit the International Office (Dott.ssa Giovanna Filippini or Dott. Gianluca Bolelli of the Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali, Via Zamboni, 33 – open M-W-F from 9 to 11.15; TU from 9 to 11.15 and from 2.30 to 3.30; TH from 2.30 to 3.30) at the U Bologna as well as the BCSP office (Via Malcontenti, 3). Housing will either be in U Bologna faculty apartments (Foresteria) or elsewhere. Foresteria costs may vary from €310 per month to €37 per day. Room availability at the Foresteria has be checked well in advance
- Faculty members in collaboration with the BCSP office should arrange a meeting with students from his/her institution at the U Bologna.
- The faculty member should write a report on the exchange experience to the Managing Director of BCSP upon return to the U.S.
Guidelines for U Bologna Faculty Members:
- U Bologna Faculty interested in the BCSP faculty exchange should contact Raffaella Baritono, Andrea Ricci and Gianluca Bolelli (Responsabile Settori Accordi e Convenzioni del Dip. Amm. Relazioni Internazionali) to inquire about the process. Inquiries should be made after the publication of the Bando that is sent to the Presidi di Facoltà at the end of every calendar year. Applications should be sent to Settore Accordi e Convenzioni del DIRI (email@example.com) within the first two weeks of January of the year when the exchange will happen. U Bologna Faculty will also be responsible for filling out paperwork for the Faculty member they may want to invite from BCSP Consortium institutions to participate in the exchange.
- U Bologna faculty need to have a formal letter of invitation from a host department at a BCSP institution. This letter should state that the individual will give one or a series of lectures/seminars at the BCSP institution. This invitation should be arranged by the faculty member who wishes to participate in the exchange.
- While the UB Committee approves the project (before the end of January) Baritono and Ricci will check with the BCSP Managing Director if there are available slots for the exchange among the BCSP institutions. Decisions will be made regarding which invitations are the most compelling, generally limited to 2 exchanges per year each way (generally only 1 per year each way for any individual BCSP institution). Consideration will also be given to the balance of the exchange over time at each institution.
- Ricci will inform the host universities’ BCSP representatives as well as the Managing Director of BCSP with the names of the final candidates.
- The exchange professor should plan on coming to the U.S. with a J-1 Faculty/Researcher visa which will involve going to a U.S. Embassy, paying a $180 SEVIS fee (Student and Exchange Visitors Information System) in addition to a $130 Visa Processing fee. These fees must be paid by the exchange faculty member. For example, see http://www.indiana.edu/~intlserv/scholars/index.php
- The exchange professor should contact the international scholars office at the host BCSP institution as well as the study abroad office prior to arrival. At some campuses, this may be the same office but at other institutions, these will be two separate offices. These offices will facilitate the paperwork to bring the faculty scholar to the campus.
- U Bologna Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali will cover airfare costs. Faculty members should check with Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali (Dott. Gianluca Bolelli) for the appropriate way to arrange assistance with travel costs.
- Staff at the host BCSP institution should be able to give guidance in advance to the faculty member regarding temporary housing on campus as well as research/office space and e-mail and library access.
- Upon arrival in the U.S. the candidate should visit the international scholars office at the BCSP institution as well as the study abroad office. Payment for housing and per diem is up to $1,500, depending on the length of stay. Each institution will handle this payment, as per their campus regulations. It may involve a combination of a per diem and reimbursement for housing receipts.
- The international offices at the host BCSP institution should arrange a meeting for the faculty member with the students from U Bologna at the BCSP institution.
- The UB faculty member must write a final report on the exchange experience before December 31 to be sent to the DIRI office upon return to Italy.
1 – Can a foreign faculty or researcher submit his/her mobility project directly to the offices of Bologna University?
No. The application for mobility projects can be submitted only by professors/researchers of the University of Bologna, who are responsible to prepare the documents required. The invitation of a foreign scholar must be completed by a deadline set by UNIBO.
2 – How can a foreign faculty / researcher get in contact with a colleague at the University of Bologna in order to receive a formal invitation?
If the faculty member does not already know some professor or researcher at the University of Bologna, he/she can try start a contact (e-mail-personal website- professional network) to create the connection that can develop into a formal invitation for teaching purposes.
3 – Is there a minimum or maximum length required for the exchange period?
No, but usually the average period of mobility vary from one to four weeks. Allocated funds don’t always allow for full refund of expenses for longer periods of stay.
4 – What kind of activity can be planned to be carried out during the exchange period in Bologna?
During the period of exchange the foreign faculty/researcher must carry out educational activities (lectures, seminars or conferences). Exchange projects involving only research activities will not be accepted.
5 – What kind of expenses can be refunded?
According to the BCSP-UNIBO agreement, the sending institution provides reimbursement for travel funds while the inviting institution provides the funds for the accommodation costs.